Tuesday, September 16, 2014

We're all learning together...

Now into the second full week of school, I have been able to test my skills with using pre-fab foldables and some of my own original creations.

To all those out there who are making your own unique foldables: you deserve an award!  They are complicated & time-consuming.  But, so far quite rewarding!

I've almost figured out how to include files into the blog, so look for an edit soon!  I will include the pdf's for all my foldables, but for now just some pictures...

This one might be my favorite











And a couple from the students' notebooks!
(note to self: remember to take more pictures of the students' work!)





I have been stressing "COLOR WITH PURPOSE"


Some things that I have really liked:
  • the organization!!! I can easily tell them to look back at a topic, they refer to their TOC and BOOM! they're there.
  • working in groups.  They ask each other questions and check results.  the desks have created a very collaborative learning environment
  • flipping! they have watched videos for homework on a few topics, it allows us to have the majority of class time to just reflect.  the notes/foldables are much more detailed because of this!  definitely going to continue that throughout the year.
  • Google classroom & Google Drive -- if you don't use it yet, I highly suggest it!  What a great way to get info out and help with the "flipping".  They can even download drive on their smart phones


Some things I have not liked:
  • working in groups.  the desk formation definitely allows for increased chatter (and not in a good way) - need to continue practicing "good" conversations
  • the mess!  even with the caddies & mini trash cans, the room looks like a tornado blew threw.  I am stressing with each class today that the room, groups, & caddies MUST be kept neat for the class that comes in next.  (I didn't want to add in this next part, but I want them to know I mean business)  I also added that any group in violation will lose points on their next test/quiz.
  • creating the foldables & SMARTnotebook (this is also my first full year with SMARTnotebook) files to go along with them is VERY time consuming.  (Hoping this will get better/easier with time)

Some things the students have liked:
  • the organization! -- particularly the table of contents & numbering the pages
  • cutting & pasting -- they keep telling me how much fun it is to "play" with their notes
  • sitting in groups -- they like having people to work with and talk to


Thanks for reading!  Please leave comments, questions, and suggestions in the section below!



No comments:

Post a Comment